Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The risks of dance

While browsing for information on dance injuries, I came across Wikipedia's page on Dance and Health. I was really impressed with how thorough the information was. There was only a small detail I felt I needed to add. Under the subtitle "Injuries", there is information about the most common injury and about shoulder injuries. I felt this needed some modification.

This is the original quote:
Many dance movements, and particularly ballet techniques, such as the turnout of the hips and rising on the toes (en pointe), test the limits of the range of movement of the human body. Dance movements can place stress on the body when not performed correctly; even if perfect form is used, over-repetition can cause repetitive strain injury. The most common injury for ballet dancers is snapping hip syndrome.[25] Shoulder injuries can be common in dancers due to lifting, partnering and floor work that is commonly seen in modern dance. The periscapular muscles assist in keeping the shoulder still and steady, these muscles are at greater risk for injuries among dancers.[26]
 And I changed it to be:
Many dance movements, and particularly ballet techniques, such as the turnout of the hips and rising on the toes (en pointe), test the limits of the range of movement of the human body. Dance movements can place stress on the body when not performed correctly; even if perfect form is used, over-repetition can cause repetitive strain injury. The most common injuries for ballet dancers is snapping hip syndrome and foot and ankle injuries. [2] Foot and ankle injuries are vulnerable to a wide range of injuries including, stress fractures, tendon injuries, sprains and strains. Much of this is due to not only the emphasis on footwork in dance but also the foot wear. Dancers either wear pointe shoes, bare feet, a soft shoe of some kind or heels, all of which offer no support. Shoulder injuries can be common in male dancers due to lifting, partnering and floor work that is commonly seen in modern dance. The periscapular muscles assist in keeping the shoulder still and steady, these muscles are at greater risk for injuries among dancers.[3]
As you can see I added some more information on ankle and foot injuries that I felt were lacking in the original statement. I also specified that shoulder injuries are more common among male dancers, which I felt was vague before. I highly recommend checking out this page, because it has a lot of  great information on dance injuries as well as the benefits of dancing for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing your perspective on injury

I started dancing when I was 6 years old. My mom used to dance and she put me in ballet to help me open up and be less shy. I immediately fe...