Sunday, July 21, 2019

Stepping back on stage for the first time in 6 months

I had been out for 6 months due to a tear in my posterior tibal tendon. I had gotten a PRP injection and was is a boot for 6 weeks. It was my first injury since entering my dream company of the New York City Ballet. I was scared because I didn't know what to expect.

The injury was caused by overuse and not working the right muscles. I worked really hard to change the way I worked my muscles so I wouldn't have this injury again. It was slow and took longer than the doctors had said it would take (which is always the case, I know that now). At one point in the recovery process it was hurting to do a certain movement. No one could figure out what was causing me pain. I ended up getting a cortisone injection and that seemed to solve the problem.

Finally after 5 1/2 months, I stepped into the studio, so excited to be back and dancing again. The first ballet I would perform was a ballet called Serenade. Serenade is the first ballet Balanchine ever choreographed. The music is exceptional and anyone who has seen it will tell you it is a transcendent experience. The women are in long light blue shirts that billow when you move. The skirts are made of thin tulle and when you move the air catches it and it dances on its own. There is no story line but there is definitely strong emotion portrayed in the choreography.

I had rehearsed the ballet over the course of 2 weeks. I was happy that I wasn't experiencing any pain and I felt strong.

Me in the starting position of Serenade
Opening night of our fall season. I put my make up on for the first time in a while and looked back at myself through the mirror feeling excited to see my "performance face". I went down to stage level and warmed up with the other women in the ballet. It felt so nice to be back with company, being a part of something instead of feeling so isolated. We all gathered around the rosin box, chatting and putting on our pointe shoes. I went to the dressing room to put on one of those iconic Serenade costumes. I looked at myself in the mirror. One last look on the way out and I thought "Yup, I'm ready."

The stage lights were turned on and the backstage lights were turned off. I heard the orchestra warming up. My anticipation was rising. The moment I had been thinking about for the past 6 months is finally here.

I stood in the starting position. The music began and the curtain rose. I began to dance and I felt like I could breathe again, like I've been suffocating and I didn't know it. With each section of the ballet progressing, I disappeared into the music.

During my last phrase of dancing, I felt emotion building in my chest. Finishing the last step, I ran off stage in a blur. Backstage, I cried and smiled at the same time. All the struggle of getting to this moment and I finally did it! It was the most amazing feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing your perspective on injury

I started dancing when I was 6 years old. My mom used to dance and she put me in ballet to help me open up and be less shy. I immediately fe...