Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Myo-Care EMS

Part of my treatment plan for the osteoarthritis in my knee is to make sure my thigh, butt and hips are strong. Those are all the major muscle groups needed to keep the knee stable and alleviate stress on the knee joint. Using a portable electric muscle stimulator machine is a helpful way to get strong muscles. It is used to help activate a specific muscle that has a hard time engaging due to injury.

My physical therapist instructed me to get a doctor's prescription for a portable NMES machine to use on my quadricep muscles. Then he gave me the website Medi-Stim.com to order Myo-Care EMS. The Medi-Stim company will require the doctor to fax them the prescription or for you to mail them the original. My physical therapist recommended this model because it is the simplest one to use and it comes with 4 self-adhesive electrodes that you apply yourself. Some models come with pre-set electrodes to apply to the quad in the same area for everyone. However, with electrodes that you apply yourself you can make the stimulation more specific to your body and target the muscles you would like. My favorite thing about the Myo-Care machine is that it only take about 10 to 20 mins of exercise to feel the specific muscle you are trying to work. I use it everyday and I can really feel my muscles fatigue from use.

The best thing about the Myo-Care EMS is that it is simple and easy to use. Some other electric stimulation machines are too high tech and have too many buttons. There are only 3 buttons with two knobs to increase the stimulation intensity with the Myo-Care EMS. It has last setting recall, so when you use the machine to do your exercises it remembers your settings, that way you don't have to set them again. The back of the machine has a clip so you can attach it to your clothing and not hold it during use. It also comes in a carrying case that holds the machine with the electrodes, and it is small enough and light enough to carry anywhere. It is perfect when you are going on vacation or just commuting from work to the gym.

Similar to all electrotherapy equipment it is best to have a physical therapist assist you in your first try. This way they can tell you what exercises to do with the machine and where best to place your electrodes. After that, you will be off to stronger muscles in no time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing your perspective on injury

I started dancing when I was 6 years old. My mom used to dance and she put me in ballet to help me open up and be less shy. I immediately fe...