Sunday, June 2, 2019

Every setback is a setup for a come back...

Welcome to my blog, Tougher in a Tutu! Many people don't realize how strenuous and difficult ballet can be. Especially, since much of the point of dancing ballet is to make it seem easy. It is an art form that takes years to master and typically begins at a young age. The years of precise training can lead to very serious and detrimental injuries. The truth is that the wear and tear on the body results in a short career. Injuries are just part of the ballet world and very few avoid them.

Throughout my 20 years of dancing, I have had multiple injuries ranging from bruised bones to serious knee cartilage surgery. I am currently recovering from a high ankle sprain on my left ankle and partially related severe right knee arthritis. The way in which we work our bodies is unique and requires a full range of motion (beyond what is expected in a normal person's body). That is why when ballet dancers injure themselves it is important that we see the right doctors, physical therapists and trainers who fully understand the expectations of our craft. Similar to top athletes we push our bodies to the limit everyday and we need to be strong to handle that.

This blog is a resource for anyone coming back from an injury but will be focused on ballet in particular. It will include tips, advice, exercises, meal ideas, and an overall look into my personal recovery. The title of this post is a quote that has always inspired me to get back up when I fall. Injuries are no fun but they make you stronger and wiser. I hope you will join me on my road to recovery and in turn become stronger and wiser as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Olivia,

    I fore one agree that dancing could be hard, but I had no idea that ballet could so damaging to one's body. Although I don't take ballet After reading this, I'm gonna take my dancing more serious.

    ReplyDelete

Changing your perspective on injury

I started dancing when I was 6 years old. My mom used to dance and she put me in ballet to help me open up and be less shy. I immediately fe...